Lots of bees

We have nine beehives now – isn’t that amazing?  Things got insanely busy after my last post about them and I never posted an update. A couple of our hives have swarmed since then, which gave us opportunity to practice some creative swarm catching techniques.  When they land 50 feet up in a tree, creativity …

Lots of bees Read More »

A swarm found us

Today was such an adventure. A swarm of honeybees landed in a tree right by our house, not 20 feet outside our door. Since we didn’t have to go anywhere, I was able to take a LOT of pictures. In the tree (about 10 feet up) A closer look Stephen climbing up to cut the …

A swarm found us Read More »

I passed!

Stephen and I each got an email this morning with our beekeeping test scores. We both passed. I am so excited – parts of the test were really easy, but there were a few parts of it that threw me a little. It was a relief to find out how I did. This beekeeping is …

I passed! Read More »

First hive inspection

Yesterday it was 80 here, so Stephen and I decided to go into the hives. I’ve stood next to him before as he’s gone through them, but never actually opened up the boxes myself. I was terrified. LOL! We have the top part of a bee suit but not the bottom. The last time I …

First hive inspection Read More »

Taking a class

It’s class time here! Stephen and I will be starting “bee school” tonight. I am so excited. When the classes are done, we’ll each have our local and state certification for beekeeping. Now it looks like I just need to find myself a bee suit. . .

Early morning look at the beehive

Bees bearding – they often do this on hot nights to cool down the hive. I think it’s fascinating to watch, and interesting to consider that they will “sleep outside” when it gets too hot inside the hive.

Harvesting honey

Brushing bees off a frame of honey so we can take it in the house We harvested more honey over the weekend. It was probably the last super we will take off the hive for the year. They’re still bringing in a good bit of pollen, but we want to make sure the hive has …

Harvesting honey Read More »