Last week I made Anna a new dress for her to wear for our field trip to the zoo. It was supposed to be quite warm that day, so I wanted something that wasn’t going to be too hot for her. I also wanted something really long – even though she can wear sunscreen, I wanted as much of her skin covered as possible to protect her fair skin.
I followed this peasant top tutorial, and lengthened it.
Trying it on for fit – the sleeves were so roomy before adding elastic that they reminded me of wings
It fit her pretty well, but wasn’t roomy enough through the diaper area and in the legs. It also looked too much like a nightgown at this point to just leave it. I cut the skirt part off, added in some pink gingham stripes, and some lace with embroidered butterflies at the hem. I LOVE how it turned out.
I think it would look even better with a little pink band at the waist, but I ran out of time to add it.
Anna was too busy rolling around the floor to get a very good shot of her in the dress, but here’s a couple of attempts:
Caleb kept running around yelling, “CHEESE!” when I was trying to take these. 🙂
It sewed up a lot faster than I expected, and was really easy to make. There’s so much that could be done with those basic instructions. . .