We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post, at no additional cost to you.
Well, I started with cloth diapers today. I’m not convinced I like some of the ones that I made.
The first ones I made were from the newborn size Mama Bird pattern. I didn’t make very many since babies grow so fast. That was a good decision. The rest that I made are from the Rita’s Rump Pocket pattern. It was great to sew, but they’re considerably bigger and won’t fit C for a while, even folded down.
Leak-wise, the Mama Bird ones are fine. As big as they looked, the size is okay too. I was actually surprised to see that the tabs didn’t fit as far around C’s waist as I thought they would, but they still fit. Most of the ones I made I lengthened the tabs on, so that should be good once he grows more too.
The only complaint I have is they don’t fit my skinny baby all that well in the legs. Maybe I should have used shorter elastic in the legs so that they’d be tighter; I don’t know. So far he hasn’t had a massive poo blowout, so they haven’t leaked, but there’s enough space around his thighs that it looks like it could potentially be a problem. Unless he chunks out in the very near future. . .
The convenience of the all-in-one diapers is wonderful though. That much I’m 100% sold on – they’re SO much better than the prefold and plastic pants routine that we did with S. I didn’t mind it then, but this is a big improvement.
I thought about starting the cloth sooner, but figured I’d wait a little first. They were pretty big, and we had quite a few disposable diapers in the newborn size that needed to get used. Those things are so tiny! :O) We’re out of NB size now though, and the Size 1 that we do have are just too big for him yet. So I decided to start the cloth today. It feels good to toss a cloth diaper in the bucket instead of having all the paper ones that just get thrown in the trash.
So far, so good. . .