What a day

We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post, at no additional cost to you.

Yesterday was something else. . .today seems to be headed in that direction as well.

On the way home from grocery shopping (woo hoo!) yesterday, I noticed that Sam had a cough. I didn’t like the sound of it, so I just figured I’d keep and eye on it. When one of the VBS workers took him, she commented that he felt a little warm, and that maybe he had a fever. He’d been a little warm at home, but I didn’t think too much about it. . .but his fever had definitely risen. This sweet lady kindly watched him all evening, and kept him out of the nursery so we wouldn’t get any other kids sick.

At VBS, the game the kids played involved peanut butter and marshmallows. They got to smear peanut butter all over our faces (we being the crew leaders), then the kids stood a few steps away and threw marshmallows at us. The leader that had the most marshmallows stuck to their face won. Thankfully, they did give us garbage bags to protect our clothes. The prize? All the kids on that team received a water balloon to throw at whomever they wished. I won, and my girls were kind enough to hit me with their water balloons. Funny, it didn’t help wash the peanut butter off any. . .

I went inside and washed my face with the handsoap that was by the sink. I had some in my hair, but I wasn’t too worried about it. I figured I’d just shower before bed, and didn’t give it another thought.

When we got home, we looked out the window and saw that the work had been begun on our back yard. Our landlord is opening up the basement and adding a walk-out door on one wall. The dropped off the backhoe while we were gone and had dug some of the dirt for the footer.

We only had a very little bit of time to get Stephen something to eat, pack a lunch for work, and get him out the door. By that time, Sam was coughing quite a bit and was burning up. When we got home we took his temperature: 102.4 – higher than we had ever seen it. What concerned us the most was how quickly he started feeling poorly. When I left for town yesterday morning, Sam seemed to be doing just fine, but by 9:30 last night, he was very sick. His cough had gotten drastically worse, and he was jerking and trembling in his sleep. We decided he needed to see a doctor immediately, rather than waiting till morning.

Since we’re new to the area still, we didn’t have a doctor for Sam yet. I hopped onto our insurance website. The closest urgent care center I could get in touch with was an hour away, and with Stephen leaving for work, there was no way I could get Sam there before they closed. We ended up driving Stephen to work so I could take Sam to the urgent care center in that town. It was listed on our company’s website, but I hadn’t been able to contact them by phone. When I left the plant, we got stopped by a train, so we ended up having to go to the emergency room. It turns out that the urgent care center we were looking for only accepts medicaid patients (which we didn’t know), so we wouldn’t have been able to go there in the first place.

The diagnosis: Sam has an upper respiratory infection. We were given a prescription and sent home. We went back to the plant to tell Stephen, and thankfully, he was given the rest of the night off. What a blessing. I would have done it if I had to, but it sure was nice knowing I didn’t have to turn around in 4 hours to go get Stephen from work, especially since the drive is 30 minutes. We didn’t fill the prescription immediately because we had no idea which pharmacies our insurance covers. That’s why I’m on the computer right now – I sat down to check the website to see where I should take the prescription.

We were awakened this morning at 7:30. It was our pastor’s wife, wanting to know how Sam was doing (I had called her before we left).

Then at 8 the men came back to work on the house. . .and the concrete truck was pouring cement by 9.

Yep. . .what a day. . .can’t wait to see what else is in store for the day. Hopefully the meds won’t be too expensive. . .

Spread the love

5 thoughts on “What a day”

  1. Wow what a day! I do hope things turn brighter for you quickly and that your son feels better soon. It is definitely no fun being sick in the heat!

    Becca in IN who loves your blog!

  2. Ow, what an awful day you had, Melody. I do hope that Sam is making a quick recovery now. It must have been terribly worrying and stressful.
    I’m appalled at how difficult and expensive it seems to be to get medical care in USA.

Comments are closed.

Scroll to Top