Don’t you just love homemade pizza? We do, and we have homemade pizza every Friday night. This recipe makes two crusts.
These crusts are nice and fluffy if you don’t bake them too long. We like a softer crust.
You can mix this dough by hand, but we use a KitchenAid mixer. Dissolve the yeast in warm water, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until it’s completely mixed. The dough will be a bit sticky.
Let the dough sit for five minutes to rest. If you haven’t preheated the oven yet, do so now, and preheat it to 400.
Pat the dough out into two well greased pans.
This is where I make the crusts special. I sprinkle coarse sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley around the edge. I use about a teaspoon of salt total, and then just sprinkle the others sparingly. I don’t measure this, and just do it carefully.
After that, spread your pizza sauce of choice on the crust. We use spaghetti sauce instead of pizza sauce.
Since we do different toppings on each pizza, we put the cheese on first, so that the toppings are still visible. Then we sprinkle a little bit of parmesan cheese over the top to hold everything together.
Place the pizzas in the oven. We do one on each rack since our pans are too large to fit side by side. I bake these for 6 minutes, and then switch them, so they brown more evenly. Continue baking them for another 6-7 minutes, or until the crust and cheese are as dark as you’d like them.
Homemade Pizza Crust
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 Tbsp oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixer bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Beat well. Let rest 5 minutes. Pat crust into well-greased pans, leaving a thicker ridge around the edges.
- Sprinkle edges of crust with coarsely ground sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley. I don't ever measure these, just sprinkle enough around the edges to give it flavor.
- Top with your favorite pizza or spaghetti sauce and your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- In our oven, I bake a pizza on each rack for 6 minutes, then switch them so they brown more evenly as they bake. After switching them, bake another 6-7 minutes, or until edges of crusts are light brown and cheese is melted.